Here you'll find everything you need about Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital and how we can help you. We have online forms for everything related to our Detroit veterinary clinic, resources and information about what to expect on your visit.
As of 4/19/2023, we are unable to schedule appointments for new patients. We will hopefully resume seeing new patients in about a month. Feel free to call our office or check back here for updates.
If you have more than one pet you would like to bring to Patterson's, be aware that we schedule appointments one at a time. Also, our new client exam times are available on weekdays, not on Saturdays. Patterson's is now collecting a pre-paid exam fee of $55 for new clients calling to reserve an appointment for their new pets.
How the pre-paid exam fee works:
- When you call and speak to a staff member, they will begin by getting all of your contact information over the phone and set you up as a new client. This includes your name, address, phone numbers and email address along with your pet's information.
- Then, the staff member will take a payment by credit card over the phone in the amount of $55. You can chose to get a receipt emailed to you or sent in the regular mail.
- We're ready to set up a future appointment with a veterinarian to examine your pet!
- When you come on time to your scheduled appointment, this $55 pre-paid exam fee will be applied to your visit. If you cannot make it to the appointment, we ask that you give us 24 hour advance notice by phone call, voicemail, text or email. When you call to cancel or reschedule, your pre-paid fee will be either refunded to you or applied to your rescheduled appointment.
- Failure to cancel with advance notice and/or not show up for the appointment means the fee is forfeited and there will be no refund.
Why the new policy?
Like any veterinary practice that works by appointment, we have always had the occasional "no-call no-show"; scheduled appointments who then failed to show up or cancel in advance. Sometimes an emergency comes up or an unexpected delay occurs or the client loses track of time or simply forgets. We understand. Life happens.
However, as demand for veterinary services has increased and our cancellation list has built up recently, we have seen a sharp increase in the number of scheduled appointments that are neither cancelled not kept, particularly among new clients.
In order to be respectful of the medical needs of all patients, please be courteous and call the hospital promptly if you are unable to make an appointment. We would appreciate 24 hours notice whenever possible. If we are closed, you can leave us a voicemail, send a text message to our number, or send us an email. Then, this open appointment time will be available to someone who is in urgent need of care.
We appreciate your understanding and courtesy, and look forward to meeting you!
We treat all breeds of dogs and cats, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you and your pet. We invite you to learn more about us and the services we offer. If you are a first-time pet parent or have a new puppy or kitten, be sure to check out our puppy and kitten information. When you are ready to schedule your first appointment, please contact our offices at (313) 832-7282.
When you arrive for your appointment, give us a call at 313-832-7282 to check in. The receptionist will take down your cell phone number and locate an available assistant for your pet's appointment. When the assistant is ready to start the appointment, they will call you and ask you to meet them at the front door with your pet. One pet owner wearing a mask may come in for the appointment with the doctor. We are still performing appointments "curbside" for surgery and technician appointments.
Before Your First Appointment
In addition to the information on this site, here a few other things you should know before your first visit with us:
- Paperwork: All new clients will need to complete some paperwork to provide us with important information about you and your pet. For your convenience, the forms are available here:
- Arrival Time: Plan to arrive 10 minutes before your appointment. This will give us time to handle your paperwork or collect any additional information we may need.
- Leash and Container Policy: All dogs must be on a leash while in our waiting room. Cats must be in a carrier or container. If your dog is aggressive, please have him or her muzzled while in the waiting area.
- Previous Medical History: Before the day of your appointment, please submit any previous medical records to us via email or fax. If you are unable to send them electronically, please bring paper copies to your first appointment and we will make copies for our records. If you do not have copies of the records, we should be able to obtain a copy from your previous veterinarian. Please be ready to provide us with your previous vet’s name and contact information on the New Client Form. You can also contact your previous veterinarian in advance of your appointment, and request that your pet’s records be emailed or faxed to Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital.
Cancellation and No Show Policy
When we schedule an appointment for your pet here at Patterson Dog and Cat Hospital, we have set aside a special time period for the care of your pet. Whether it is a routine physical, a health issue or a recheck, we want to be able to spend all the time you need to have your pet's health needs met and your questions answered. We don't "double book" for that reason. When you schedule an appointment no one else will be scheduled at that time. Sometimes an emergency or a complicated medical issue gets in the way of our schedule, but we still try our best to see you as scheduled.
In order to be respectful of the medical needs of all patients, please be courteous and call the hospital promptly if you are unable to make an appointment. We would appreciate 24 hours notice whenever possible. If we are closed, you are welcome to leave a voicemail. Then, this open appointment time will be available to someone who is in urgent need of care.
A failure to be present at the time of a scheduled appointment will be recorded in the client's chart as a "No show". If there are three recorded no shows, we will require a payment up front for the office visit fee over the phone with a credit card when scheduling further appointments.
We appreciate your cooperation and commitment to help every client have an efficient visit to Patterson Dog and Cat Hospital.
Thank you for considering Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital for your pet’s veterinary care! We appreciate and value the trust you place in us as caregivers for your dog or cat, and we look forward to helping ensure a lifetime of health and happiness for your pet.