Puppies & Kittens
Congratulations on your new pet! Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital aims to help you and your puppy or kitten prepare for a long, healthy, and happy life together by providing the highest quality veterinary care during your pet’s critical first six months of life.
Your Pet’s First Appointment
We recommend that puppies come in for their first veterinarian visit at six weeks of age and kittens should visit the veterinarian for their first appointment at eight weeks.
If you and your pet will be new to the Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital, we invite you to visit our New Client area where you can get valuable information about scheduling and preparing for your first appointment. Please take a few minutes to review our policies and fill out your new client form so we can be prepared to welcome you and your new family member!
During the first visit, your pet will receive:
- A thorough physical examination. We will check your pet’s overall health, look for signs of any congenital defects, and check for external parasites.
- Deworming for roundworms and hookworms.
- The first DAPP vaccine for puppies. DAPP protects your puppy from distemper, adenovirus, parainfluenza, and parvovirus. If your puppy is 12 weeks or older at the time of his first visit, he may receive additional vaccinations.
- The first FVRCP vaccine for kittens. FVRCP protects against feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus infection, and Panleukopenia (also known as feline distemper and infectious feline enteritis).
- A blood test for kittens to check for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus.
Our staff will also provide you with a new Owner’s Guide and a customized schedule for ongoing medical care for your new pet.
New Owner’s Guide
Bringing home a new pet is sure to add a great deal of love and joy to your life. It also comes with new responsibilities. The staff at Patterson Dog & Cat Hospital is dedicated to being a trusted source of information and advice during this exciting time.
During your first appointment, you will receive a specialized new puppy or kitten Owner’s Guide. This invaluable resource explains everything you need to know about your pet’s development, and our staff will customize it just for you and your pet. Based on your household, concerns, questions, and your pet’s unique needs, our staff will tailor your Owner’s Guide to include:
- A pet vaccination and medical care schedule for your puppy or kitten
- Information on spaying and neutering your pet, including handouts on:
- Information on common medical problems such as heartworm disease, feline leukemia, and zoonosis
- Socialization tips for exposing your puppy or kitten to animals and people, including any pets already living in your home or any babies or small children in the home
- Basic puppy training guidelines
- Nutrition information
In addition to the information in your Guide, our staff welcomes your questions and encourages you to ask us about any other concerns you may have. We’re here to ensure you and your puppy or kitten have the care and compassion you need to begin a great life together! Please call us at (313) 832-7282 to schedule your appointment today.